Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Monday, August 11, 2008

playing in the wind and water


Last weekend we all got to go sailing! Todd has been a crew member this summer on the pretty boat, the Firefly, and they race on Thursday nights. The owner of the boat let Elijah and I come along last Saturday. So peaceful - so beautiful. Nothing but the sounds of the wind in the sails and the water spraying as the boat skimmed through.
"Dad, this life-jacket feels a bit like a strait jacket to me..."

the handsome Harkins men
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I feel like I am part of a social experiment labeled: 'How American Culture Responds to the Abnormal and the Handicapped'. Elijah and I went grocery shopping together a few days ago. It was "Fresh Friday", so the store was packed out. No handicapped parking and no shopping carts. (Elijah is in his little chair, so our system is to grab a cart and park it in an aisle, returning when my arms/basket get full so we can deposit the groceries in the cart.)

Since the store was full, I knew I could probably count on lots of strange looks. Thankfully, this was not a day of raw emotions...my 'game face' was on and I was ready. We started our shopping, finally getting a cart, and the mental volleyball began. Ok, there's a strange look coming our way. Right back atcha with a smile, buddy. And so it went, as we ventured through the produce and the dairy aisle.

I feel like God is building a confidence and strength in me through this sweet life with Elijah, and that is all for HIS glory and because of HIS grace. People (myself included) are so bound up in what is physical and what can be seen on the outside. When I feel like we are being pitied, I think, "They don't know what I have. They don't know what an absolute treasure this little boy is." I wish I could shout it from the roof tops that we are not to be pitied, because we are blessed!

Thank you, Father, for Your gifts that take my breath away. Like azure sky filling spaces between tree-lined peaks. Like a little boy with soft brown curls who brings so much joy. Like learning how to really love, to give, to see people with Your eyes.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Your thoughts inspire me, comfort me, and make me smile. (So do all the cute pics of Elijah.)