Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Monday, June 1, 2009

To My Son...

Three years since you were born, my little son. Three! Seems like both an eternity and a flash.

I celebrate you, my little boy. I am so grateful that I am privileged to be your mother. You've come so far and God has granted us many gifts in your life. I love, love, love that you can smile so much now and even "laugh" on rare occasions.

You are very loved...enjoyed...cherished.

It makes me smile to see how much you love music. There is so much music in your soul, I think. Sometimes you open your mouth like you wish you could sing, and that melts me!

You are a boyish boy, loving excitement and thrills and anything that makes crashing, banging noises! Daddy calls you the adrenaline junkie.

I love my little quiet times with you. I love how you turn your cheek to get kisses and how responsive you are to our voices. You always know when we're in the room.

Thank you for reminding us that life is a vapor and there is much more ahead than can be grasped today in this temporary life. As we loosen our hold on things that do not matter, you remind us to hang on tight to what does.

It doesn't matter what people think. It doesn't matter what our "image" is. It doesn't matter that we aren't the perfect little family I always pictured we would be, or that people probably identify us as "the family with the handicapped kid". I am so thankful for the painful lessons you are helping me through, Elijah...lessons about humility, pride, and basing my self-concept on the right things. (If I were not proud to begin with, it wouldn't hurt so much to learn 'em!)

Your name means, 'Jehovah is God'. The same God who rolled back the Red Sea and sent ravens to bring food, who tumbled the mighty walls of Jericho, who created every living thing from nothing -- this God is your God.

We are thankful for every moment with you. We pray for the "impossible", that you will someday walk and talk...but mostly that you will know you are loved.

Happy Birthday, Bubby!


Love, Mummy

5 comments:

charleecyrus said...

Happy Birthday Elijah! We are praying for you! Thanks for sharing this Julie!

Tracy said...

Hi Julie, my name is Tracy and I've commented once before. I wanted to tell you how much your letter to Elijah blessed me today. I have two special-needs kids (5 ann 4) and zero typical ones. I totally understand everything you shared...the "image" of your family and being known as "that family". I will be praying for you this birthday week. They used to be really hard for me as another year passed and they still didn't do, "fill in the blank." In fact my son's birthday is next week and he will be six. But the Lord has eased the pain of those milestone days over the last two years. Thank you for sharing as it has blessed me more than you can know.

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet son!!!!! I am inspired by you Julie!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELIJAH!

WHOO-HOO! WE CELEBRATE YOU!

LOVE, THE FULLERS

Alicia said...

Happy Birthday Elijah, from a friend in Minnesota. Praying for you!

Julie, your lessons, hard learned, have become rubies for me. I thank God that he made you to be such moldable clay.

I eagerly await with you watching our boys with new bodies skip down the streets of gold. And until then will not give up praying for healing on this side of heaven!