Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

the truth about me and shopping


It's warming up, but hats are still nice sometimes!



Elijah and I went to "the big city" together last week for a shopping trip. We haven't attempted that for a long time, maybe even for a year. Our previous attempts have been anything but pleasant!

We've all heard many kids crying in Target, right? When Elijah cries, he also stiffens his body and fights loudly against being in his wheelchair. The embarrassment and frustration of not being able to do anything about it makes me want to run from the store in tears. At the very least, it makes for a harried woman rushing through the store, trying to ignore the glances, throwing necessary items into the cart -- not my definition of "fun"!!!

So I am amazed and very thankful to let you know that we successfully did a shopping trip together, and we even got to have fun! I got to shop for several hours, and Elijah was perfect (at least until we were mostly home). Thank you, Jesus!

On the drive home (nearly an hour) I started thinking about how God has changed my focus somewhat over the past years. I love to shop. I really, really love to shop. However, I haven't done much shopping for nearly four years. And I think I'm glad for that in a way, because I realize that lots and lots of my time has been spent thinking about what I would like to buy, or what clothes I would wear if I didn't have a budget, etc.

I'm sure I haven't seen the last of this issue in my life, but I'm thankful for God's work to change me. I am pretty certain that I would never have chosen to limit and deny myself of something I was so "addicted to"...but thankfully, the Father doesn't want shopping to come between me and Him!

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of an easy, enjoyable shopping trip. Help me remember that You are the reward and joy of life.

1 comment:

Borbe Bunch said...

Hi there friend.....I love to shop too :) I am so happy for you that you had a fun time with your sweet son....soon, there will be an addition to your precious family and having these one on one times with Elijah is so important!
I am praying for you and would love to chat some time on the phone!! I don't talk much on the phone....the volumes can get loud around here and I usually only have a few minutes here and there of good times to call!! :)
I love you and am soooo very excited for you!!
I read your last post about the baby section and how exciting it is to think of buying FUN baby things, I fully understand! I also wanted to ask if you are in need of bibs for Elijah?? My mom is AMAZING at making them for Ezra, I actually don't know what I would do without her...as you know, with all the drooling, regular bibs are a JOKE and don't do the trick and are so babyish it is not fun....anyways, my mom sews them herself and backs them with a layer of plastic in between, they are washclothes, boy colors and a big enough size for our sons....would you want some?? Let me know, I know she would make some for Ezzy's buddy :)
LOVE YOU!!
Lizy
p.s. Ezzy wears one EVERY day, he could not go without one!!