Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Thursday, September 4, 2008

grace

I see her walking on the street just ahead of our car. I know she sees us. She picks up her pace, leaving her friend behind, disappearing behind the building before we can say 'hello'.

I seethe inside. Just how many times, Lord, have we tried to reach out to this girl? I can't even count. Why, too, am I surprised at the sting? It should come as no surprise. "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." -- John 15:18

My anger reveals what's inside my own heart...bitterness, judgment, and lack of grace. So often, lately, it seems I am confronting those attitudes within. I've also been thinking about how I sometimes greet people I categorize as "different than me". A subtle reserve, a tiny lack of warmth...cleverly hidden, probably not noticeable but to my closest friends and God.

Break my glossed-over pride, Father...make me aware of how great my sin-debt is to you, and how much You love the ones around me. Teach me how to love despite rejection; how to be real and still love like You do.

1 comment:

BetCha-Alt said...

Julie,
I have prayed so much since Elijah was born that you might be able to try hyperbarics. My sister knows a little girl by the name of Grace Kenitz in Madison, WI who has benefited (miraculously) from this therapy - check out: http://www.wisconsinhyperbarics.com/ - I pray often for you guys and frequently check your blog for good news about Elijah and your new life in Idaho. I'll be praying more that Elijah starts eating again.
Seeing Elijah with the shaving cream made me smile thinking of my niece Alli finger painting with our help. The wet slippery paint and the fun colors to explore! Good memories. Thank you for sharing your times so I can remember good times of my own.
By the way... I tried emailing you and it appears that you may have changed email carriers, could you let me know your new one if you get a chance?
Love,
Beth Altenhofen
bchick@airrun.net