Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Monday, October 15, 2007

babies sleeping on cardboard


The three of us Harkins!
I just got back from a little walk to the drugstore, getting some pediasure for Elijah (who is sick again). Since it was 9:30 pm, the street people were getting ready to turn in for the night. Lots of people carrying cardboard, small families laying down on the sidewalks or in the corner of a building front. We picked up a few grocery items to give them on the way home. My heart just broke to see the babies and little kids laying down on their cardboard.

I thought about sweet Elijah, and how I sometimes get frustrated because of all the noise from the street and how it wakes him up. The babies I saw tonight were laying on a small cement square, on their backs with their legs hanging off the edge. Less than six feet from the noisy street, with not a wall or a roof or even a blanket to lie on.

I am so convicted about my ungratefulness at times! So broken for the people all around me who exist on nothing, who give birth and raise their families on a street corner.

----------------------------------------------------------

Elijah's seizures have improved again...the doctor notched up his medication after the blood test last week.

On different note, we're struggling to keep him hydrated, because he's been throwing up for two days and isn't eating. We've been feeding him with a syringe since last night, and he's vomited a lot of that as well. So we're asking for your prayers again. Today is a day I wish I were in the States, and could access good medical care in a heartbeat if I needed to! Even with those thoughts, I realize that Elijah is in God's hands. As we've seen time and again, He knows exactly how to take care of all of us.

Thanks for your prayers!

3 comments:

Beth Altenhofen said...

Julie and Todd,

I am so thankful that the increase in Elijah's medication has made some improvements. I've been worrying for you guys while waiting for you to post his test results.

Looks like its been very warm there and I am praying that extra fluids and electrolytes help Elijah get hydrated and back to feeling better SOON.

My heart breaks just hearing your story of your walk home. I feel so rotten that I have 4 beds and 4 sofas that I can choose from which to sleep on this evening. All God's children need a comfortable place to rest their body after a long day. How can some have so much and some have so little?

I pray that the street people written about this evening have love to sustain them. I thank God every day for the love I share with my husband and the love of family and friends.

Your kind offering of food was a beautiful way of sharing your love to the people you meet!

Love,
Beth

lovemylife said...

Hi, guys,
You are such a beautiful family! We love seeing pictures of your lovely smiles.
Missing you,
bryan, kendi, and kids

tamie marie said...

beautiful ones....you and your whole family are in my prayers tonight.