Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Friday, January 18, 2008

sweet baby kisses

Tonight, sitting in Todd's parent's living room, I kissed his soft, round cheek. That little person turned his face suddenly to mine, and his mouth opened to give me a sweet, wet kiss. I can not think of many moments in life that I would like to remember more. I am so blessed to have Elijah, who is calmed just by my whisper, who, unable to speak a word, simply sighs his pleasure when I pick him up.

He is teething now, and one cheek is hot and red. The last few nights have been extra hard, so I'm guessing that is the reason. I'm so glad adults don't get new teeth in every few weeks!

We're having such a wonderful time in Montana. When you live in a remote place, far from busy shopping malls and Walmarts, it seems easier to remember what really matters, to be content with what you have, and to savour the quiet things in life. Todd's been working in the woods a lot, cutting firewood and burning brush (to reduce the chance of a forest fire later). I've gone out to help him when Elijah naps or when Todd's Mom has watched him.

We just returned yesterday from three days in Billings. I got to stay with Todd's aunt and uncle, and he was flown out from there by an aviation company for an interview. Just another step in the process of finding what the Lord would have for us next! We know a lot of people have been praying for us in this, and we are so grateful!

On a different note, I have been thinking a lot about how people (and specifically, myself) define themselves. It seems to me that often I want to set myself apart from other people because of my appearance; to look more hip, prettier, more outdoorsy - whatever - than everyone else who happens to be in my frame of reference. You could say that I value myself or others more when I think they look beautiful or handsome. Granted, I realize that it is God who gives beauty, thus beauty is a good thing. I am just convicted that I am measuring myself and other people by a comparison standard that is not God's. Teach me, Lord, to have a heart that pleases You, because You see what I really am. Forgive me for the ugliness of pride, for putting too much importance on this earthly, aging shell. Teach me to value what you hold highly, like a heart that is pure and lovely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
We miss you! I frequently pull up your blog to see any updates and today I was pleasantly surprised to see a post. My eyes are welling up with tears as I ponder what you said about Elijah puckering up after you kissed him. He surely loves his mama!
We love you too and cannot wait to see you again.

Andrea said...

Julie,
I'll be praying for you as you seek the Lord with your husband. Praying for your sweet, sweet Elijah, too.
I have never been to Montana, but it sounds so beautiful!!