Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

an acre of land and a mile of heartbreak

Looking for a little piece of land to buy, we pulled into her driveway last Sunday. An acre of land contained an ancient mobile home squatting near the road. Two small children, a girl and a boy, were playing outside and clad in all their winter gear. She came too, when she saw us, carrying a little boy with chicken-pox scabs on his face.

Yes, she was selling. She liked the place, but things hadn't worked out with...'their dad', she said, gesturing to the little girl and boy. Ahhh.

We walked around with them for a bit, trying not to step in the leftovers from the donkey they had just given away. She explained how they drank the (filtered) water from the creek running through, and I looked again at those donkey apples and swallowed.

We had come there straight from church in our "nice" clothes. I noticed the little girl looking at my dress. I wished fiercely that I had worn my raggiest jeans and dirtiest tennis shoes.

Where will you go, we asked, when you sell this place? Oh, she wasn't sure yet, she answered, but maybe back to Oregon to be closer to her mom. And the little children just stood there, their sad, serious faces looking up at us. I could see past her front of confidence to the utter forlorn-ness of this woman and her children, and I wanted to cry.

...

"Thank you, baby, for not leaving me." I whisper the words. It is hours later, and I'm sure I don't make sense. "Thank you for being committed to me." Understanding, and both of us thinking about the little family from earlier, I am wrapped in a strong armed hug. In that hug, I breathe a silent prayer of gratefulness.

Thank you, thank you, Lord...that I am not alone today.

...



please pray that we will faithfully use this 'connection' as an opportunity to share the message of Jesus Christ with this woman - we know He has hope, peace, and joy to give her!






2 comments:

Jana said...

I will be praying that the Lord would give you guys an opportunity to share with this lady, and that her heart will be prepared!

Andrea said...

may the love of Jesus that is so evident in your lives be shown to this woman. (((julie)))