Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Sunday, September 9, 2007

reverse culture shock

I have been wanting to post these pictures of our helper, Veronica, and her family. Veronica is second from left, and they are standing in front of their house. They live many hours from Manila. I couldn't help feeling a small sense of shock (small, because I have lived here for a little while already) when I met these sweet people. I envisioned Veronica here, and I thought about her life now with us. I think she probably had a lot to adjust to at first.

We eat (pretty well) three times a day, and also some type of protein daily. Her family eats mostly rice and vegetables, with fish once or twice a week. We live in a nice apartment and have running water and clean floors. Her family's house has dirt and bamboo floors. Yet, compared to many who live in squatter areas in Manila, Veronica's family has a good life.

This is the inside of their house. Veronica's mother and father are on the right, front.


Elijah seems to be saying "Dad, I guess if I have to, I will try to play with this ball. I'm not too excited about it, though."


I had a mini photo-shoot with Elijah the other day when Todd was gone. I am quite sure that I enjoyed it much more than Elijah did, but what's a mother to do? I wanted some pics of me and the little guy I am so proud of.

Please pray for Elijah for the next few days. He has been very sick today, with a high fever and vomiting. We've had him checked today by our friendly neighbor, the pediatrician, but I'm still a bit worried. Seems like anytime he gets sick, it's usually a major deal.

Our EEG results are back for him. It confirmed seizures (which we knew would happen), and they are in the temporal and occipital lobes of the brain. However, our neurologist is very happy that they seem to be controlled so well on the medication he's on. We're thankful!!!

No comments: