Welcome!

We are so thankful for the wonderful friends and family God's given us! We are glad to share our lives with you. Enjoy your visit to our blog...

Monday, May 19, 2008

hiking with hope

A Letourneau mini-reunion was held at our house this weekend. Brad works with Todd, and Ken rode his motorcycle here from the Seattle area to visit. We had a great time with these guys!
Here we are, enjoying our first real hike since Elijah was born. We didn't go far, but I felt grateful for many things...that Elijah wasn't crying or fussing (!), that Todd's invention for carrying Elijah seemed to be comfortable for him; beautiful spring fairly exploding in a lovely place, and the sense of normalcy this little hike brought.

Before Elijah was born, Todd and I talked and dreamed of the family we would have. We would be, we said, one of those families who take their kids on adventures, camping and hiking. We wouldn't let having kids keep us from being 'outdoorsy'. I have to say that memories of those conversations carry a mild bit of sting, now. We probably won't be able to carry Elijah on hikes when he gets much bigger.

Just another reminder that a good life is not one that fulfills all my ideals; it's about walking the path God has ahead for us. And that's gonna be one awesome life. Yeah, my dreams might have to crumble a little or a lot. But whatever God has in store will be good. I am convinced of that. Even if we can't go on family hikes the rest of our lives. Even if I sometimes feel limited and held down by responsibilities and needs. God knows, and ultimately, this isn't the place to expect a fairy-tale life. But I can dream about the one coming up ahead...in God's grand fairy tale, heaven.

"Thank you, God, for the little gifts you lavish on us, like being all together on a good hike and the restful beauty of creation. Thank you for bringing us this far, and for giving us courage and hope and joy!"


4 comments:

monsoon dreams said...

hi,
i am so glad to be at your blog.i am amazed at the way God leads you.there is a lot to learn from u.

Anonymous said...

Julie,
As I read your post today I couldn't help but think of a song I heard today on the radio. It talked about thanking God for the unanswered prayers.
Although I don't believe that we as believers have unanswered prayers I do understand that sometimes He doesn't answer the way we hoped or envisioned.
You know our story and our struggles this past year and I have often felt the same way you described about a sting thinking about the memories.
You are right, though, and I agree with you. God's path is so much greater than what we could have dreamed up.
We love you and miss you!

Andrea said...

Julie,
You are so amazing and encouraging!
I have so many ideals in my life that are not fulfilled. Sometimes I get so tired of accepting His life for me. I know His ways are good and right. So thank you for the reminder.

The Moffits said...

Elijah is such a big boy! I can't believe his long legs. Thanks for the great blog about God's goodness. What a breath of 'fresh air'!! :)